Quilt of Love Progress

6 out of 9

Blocks received as of 10/03/2011



Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A quilt of love

What is a quilt?

It's love, patience and art.
It's a shield to hide under when scared
It's warmth on a cold night
It's the feeling of presence when alone
It can be a stress reliever
It is an expression
It can tell stories and make stories
It's memories never forgotten
That's what a quilt is to me, what is it to you?

What does a quilt mean to a sick and scared child?

Some of my favorite quilts that I have seen bring love and warmth at sight, and I feel like it's about time I give some of that love and warmth to someone that really could use it.  I had an idea this morning, well to be honest I think it started last night when I was cruising through some of my new favorite quilt blogs.  I would find a new button for a different cause, and it just left me wanting to do something. But what? I could join a cause and do/make what they already need, but that's just not me. I'm the kinda girl that never follows a pattern.  Even when I use a pattern I change it almost so that it's unrecognizable.
So here is what I want to do:

In Houston we have Texas Children's Hospital, and this is truly and amazing place.
 
I want to make a quilt for one of these children, but I don't want it to be just from me.  It's something truly beautiful when people come together with a purpose, and that is exactly what I would like to create.  I want to involve quilters and non-quilters.  There is a part for everyone in this.  
I will post about different aspects of the quilt, for example, what should the color palette be?  Then I would love it if people posted their suggestions.  With the suggestions in hand, I will create a poll to get the most popular choice.  This way, it will be like EVERYONE designed and created the quilt.  
I would then like to take it a step further and ask quilters to send in squares (of course we will decide all of the specs on the blocks ahead of time).  What I imagine is squares with messages, names, notes of love and encouragement.  Squares that truly represent the sender.  Once I have enough I will put it all together.  
It would be pretty cool to go even a step further.  Send me letters also.  Letters to include with the quilt.  Something to brighten the family's day.  Share your stories, your encouragements, your love and compassion.  These are just the ideas that I came up with, but I would love to hear any more suggestions and ideas to add on.  I look forward to hearing from each of you! 

P.s. I have already started a poll to get this going.  Should we make a quilt for a little boy or for a little girl?  

6 comments:

  1. Good idea, Theresa! Count me in! (I'll be moving soon, hopefully the timing will work out!) I know a little boy who got his treatment there, but sadly didn't survive his aggressive brain cancer. Can't we make both?! I know it depends on how many responses, but I can't decide on which!

    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that we can make multiple quilts, but it depends on how many responses we get. (So make sure to spread the word!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree...or make a quilt that could be okay for either a boy or a girl. There are so many wonderful colors out there that don't have a gender. Lets see if we can spread the word!!

    Deb from clutteredquilter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Theresa,
    Wonderful idea. Count me in and regards boy or girl, if we can't make both then let's do one that will appeal to either coz ican't choose either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Count me in, too, for helping with either a gender neutral quilt or one for each! That's a great idea to use our quilting skills to brighten someone's day and to bring them comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a pediatric nurse, this project melts my heart and pulls me in strongly. I love each one of the kids I take care of. They depend on you to make them feel better and be their friend. I made a memory quilt a few months ago. I know how satisfying it is to make something special for someone. Some chronically ill kids can be in the hospital for a month at a time. :( A quilt of love would make them feel special. I am excited and can't wait to see where this project goes. :) Thank you for starting it.

    Amber
    www.creativelybiased.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete